Sometimes it just has to be done – breakfast for dinner.
Some people love it, some not so much, but every once in a while some of us just need a little breakfast in the evening.
Life, I find, is often far too hectic to enjoy a full breakfast during the week, save from a rushed bowl of cereal, or slice of toast and jam hastily eaten whilst running out the door. There comes a time ever so often where I find myself wanting nothing more than a simple breakfast in the evening.
Today, being a particularly crumby day, is one of which I found myself asking – Why not take comfort in a warm stack of golden pancakes with homemade cherry syrup?
No logical arguments arose, so in the end, breakfast was served!
I’ve been trying for some time now to find the perfect pancake recipe, one to rival that from my boyfriend’s childhood, yet keep coming up short. They’re getting closer (they’re ‘practically perfect’) but in the meantime, this Cherry & Blueberry Syrup is spot on.
- 2 Cups Mixed Berries (Cherries, Blueberries, Blackberries)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Difficulty: easy
1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan.
2. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often.
3. Bring the temperature down slightly and allow to simmer until reduced by half, approximately 20 mins.
4. Serve on top of pancakes, or drizzle over vanilla bean or chocolate ice-cream.